Rüdiger Safranski was born in Rottweil, Württemberg, in 1945. After qualifying to enter university in 1964, Rüdiger Safranski read Philosophy, German Literature and History in Frankfurt am Main and Berlin. He was an academic assistant at the Free University of Berlin until 1978 and then became co-publisher and editor of the Berliner Hefte. After this period of working as an editor, after 1982, Safranksi was a lecturer in adult education for four years before working as a freelance writer in Berlin from 1987 onwards.
Rüdiger Safranski co-hosts the programme Das Philosophische Quartett with Peter Sloterdijk on the German television station ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen).
Photo: © Peter-Andreas Hassiepen
Friedrich Schiller or the Invention of German Idealism
Romanticism. A German Affair
Goethe and Schiller: The Story of a Friendship
- 1995 Friedrich Märker Award for Essayists
- 1996 Wilhelm Heinse Medal of the Mainz Academy
- 1998 Ernst Robert Curtius Award
- 2000 Friedrich Nietzsche Award of Land Saxony-Anhalt
- 2003 Friedrich Nietzsche Award for Nietzsche. Biographie seines Denkens
- 2006 WORLD Literature Prize
- 2009 Corine (Lifetime Achievement Award from the Minister President of Bavaria)